Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get a map of the base?
Unfortunately, no. If you are visiting the base, please work with your sponsor to find directions or ask gate guards where you can find certain buildings, units and offices.

Can I use the Golf Course?
Anyone with base access can use the golf course.

Is there a Thunderbirds Museum?
There is. Anyone with base access can visit the Thunderbird Museum 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Those without base access can visit the museum if they are part of an approved tour group that is visiting Nellis.  Click here for more information on tour group requests.

How can I notify the base of an aircraft noise disturbance?
We encourage civilians to contact 99th Air Base Wing Public Affairs with any noise complaints. The public affairs office can be reached at 702-652-7469 or by email at

Where can I eat on base?
The Commissary is a fully operational supermarket, and the Base Exchange features a food court with Anthony's Pizza, Charley's grilled subs, Taco Bell, Arby's, and Manchu Wok. Papa Johns, Burger King and Popeye's Chicken also have on-base locations. We also have several dining halls available for enlisted military personnel (officers should check with management for current policy on their use of these facilities).  A listing of facilities, hours and contact numbers is available here:

Who is Nellis AFB named after?
Nellis is named for a one-time resident of Searchlight, Nevada, who participated in 70 aerial combat missions during World War II. William Harrell Nellis was Killed in Action over Luxembourg Dec. 27, 1944. His full biography can be read here.

How do I locate a service member?
Local Public Affairs Offices cannot release contact information for service members. Instead, the Air Force Worldwide Locator handles all requests for service member information. Please click here, to visit the official website. 

I would like a base tour with my family. Can we just join a larger group?
Due to a large number of tour requests we receive each year and mission requirements, Public Affairs must limit base tours to groups of 10 or more visiting in an official capacity. Visit the base Tours page for more information.

I am a high school student and would like to be an intern on the base. With whom should I touch base?
The Airman and Family Readiness Center handles all requests for high school internships at Nellis. You may call their office at 702-652-3327, Mondays - Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

I would like to make a donation to the Nellis community. With whom should I coordinate?
All ticket and merchandise donations must be coordinated with the 99th Air Base Wing Public Affairs Community Engagement section. For current forms and information, email:

I would like a speaker for my event. How much time does the base need in advance?
All off-base speaker requests require a minimum of 30 days' notice. For more information, visit the Speakers page.

How do I make a donation to deployed service members?
All donations to service members overseas should be coordinated with local helping agencies in the community,.

I'm looking for volunteers to support my event. With whom should I coordinate?
Unfortunately, we do not have a volunteer coordinator on the base.

Featured Links