News>Nellis participates in nation's third annual "Feds Feed Families" food drive campaign
Donated food displayed at the Nellis Air Force Base Commissary, Aug. 12, 2011, at Nellis AFB, Nev. The base commissary is serving as a collection point for this year's "Feds Feed Families" food drive campaign. Donations will be accepted until Aug. 31, 2011. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Matthew Lancaster)
Duke the bull, the Las Vegas Wranglers hockey team mascot, greets children who are donating food Aug. 12, 2011, at the Nellis Air Force Base Commissary. The base commissary is serving as a collection point for this year's "Feds Feed Families" food drive campaign. Donations will be accepted until Aug. 31, 2011. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Matthew Lancaster)
8/16/2011 - NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. -- The Nellis Air Force Base Commissary is serving as a collection center for this year's "Feds Feed Families" food drive campaign, which began June 1, 2011, and runs until Aug. 31, 2011.
"This is the first year that we have participated in this campaign," said Richard Means, Nellis Commissary director. "And since the need is greater than ever, especially considering the homeless population here in Las Vegas, we are happy that we are in a position where we can take part in this campaign and help others out."
The purpose of this campaign is to encourage Federal employees to bring non-perishable food items to collection centers for distribution to local food banks. During last year's national campaign, Federal employees around the U.S. donated 1.7 million pounds of non-perishable goods and daily essentials for those in need. This year's goal is to collect 2 million pounds of goods nationwide.
"We have already collected about 1,000 pounds of food," said Means. "My hope is that we'll collect another couple thousand by the end of the campaign."
On Aug. 12, 2011, children who donated items got a surprise when they entered the Nellis Commissary. They were greeted by Duke, the Las Vegas Wranglers hockey team mascot.
"We've been trying to do something special for the kids who come here to donate items each week," said Means. "On Friday, Aug. 19, 2011, we're going to have Diesel, the mascot for the Las Vegas Locomotive football team, here to greet donors from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m."
Donated items collected at the commissary will be taken to Three Square, a Las Vegas food bank. For more information on Three Square, visit their website at http://www.threesquare.org/.
The top 11 items that the campaign is looking to collect are:
1. Canned fruits - in light syrup or its own juices
2. Canned vegetables - low sodium, no salt added
3. Multigrain cereals - cheerios, cornflakes, grapenuts, raisin bran
4. Grains - brown and white rice, oatmeal, bulgar, quinoa, couscous, pasta, macaroni and cheese
5. Canned proteins - tuna, salmon, chicken, peanut butter, beans
6. Soups - beef stew, chili, chicken noodle, turkey rice
7. 100 percent juice - all sizes, including juice boxes
8. Condiments - tomato based sauces, light soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, salad dressing, oils
9. Snacks - individual packed snacks, crackers, trail mix, dried fruit, granola and cereal bars, pretzels, sandwich crackers
10. Paper products and household items - paper towels, napkins, cleaning supplies
11. Hygiene items - diapers, deodorants for men and women, feminine products, toilet paper, tissues, soap, toothpaste, shampoo
For additional information about the "Feds Feed Families" campaign, contact the Nellis Commissary at 702-632-5500.