Col. Michael G. Rider is the Commander, Nevada Test and Training Range, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. He oversees a 2.9 million acre range and 12,000 square miles of airspace that make up the NTTR complex as well as the Virtual Test and Training Center that comprises the U.S. Air Force's most advanced synthetic battleground. He is responsible for the planning and oversight of the United States' largest and most sophisticated instrumented live and virtual battlespaces for testing and training for U.S. military and coalition air forces. The NTTR supports advanced composite force training, tactics development, and electronic combat testing for the Department of Defense.
Col. Rider received his commission on 1 June 1994 from the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. He graduated Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training as Distinguished Graduate, and subsequently was the Air-to-Ground Top Gun, and Academic Ace for his F-16 initial qualifications class. While at Nellis AFB, Nev., he commanded the 57th Operations Support Squadron, and was the Director of Operations for the 414th Combat Training Squadron (RED FLAG). Col. Rider then led strategic-to-tactical level USAF, joint and coalition live, synthetic, and blended training across the European and African theaters as the Commander of the Warrior Preparation Center.
Prior to assuming his current position, Col. Rider was the Chief of the Office of Defense Cooperation for Singapore where he led a team of 10 DoD and civilian personnel. He executed 12 bilateral Defense Cooperation in Armaments programs and 250 U.S. Foreign Military Sales weapons, training, logistics, and exercise cases for the Republic of Singapore Armed Forces totaling over $8 billion. Additionally, Col. Rider directed the largest FMS training program in U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, administering three Republic of Singapore Air Force Detachments in the United States operating F-15SG, F-16C/D, and AH-64D aircraft.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Management, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1997 Master of Business Administration, Marketing, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, Calif.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Singapore Command and Staff College, Republic of Singapore
2014 Master of Science, Strategy, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1994 – April 1997, Acquisitions Program Manager, McClellan Air Force Base (AFB), Calif.
2. May 1997 – June 1998, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
3. July 1998 – July 1999, F-16 Student Pilot, 308th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. August 1999 – April 2002, Chief of Scheduling, 522nd Fighter Squadron and Wing Weapons Officer, 27th Operations Support Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
5. April 2002 – April 2003, Flight Commander, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base (AB), Republic of Korea
6. April 2003 – December 2005, Chief of Standardization and Evaluations and Assistant Director of Operations, 425th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. December 2005 – September 2006, Student, Singapore Command and Staff College, Republic of Singapore
8. October 2006 – April 2008, Pilot Career Field Manager and Program Element Monitor, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
9. April 2008 – August 2009, Chief of Fighter, ABM and ATC Colonel Assignments, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
10. August 2009 – June 2011, Director of Operations, 414th Combat Training Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. June 2011 – June 2013, Commander, 57th Operations Support Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
12. June 2013 – July 2014, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. July 2014 – March 2015, Chief, Operations and Integration Division, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
14. March 2015 – July 2016, Deputy Director of Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base (JB) Langley-Eustis, Va.
15. July 2016 – July 2018, Commander, Warrior Preparation Center, Einsiedlerhof Air Station (AS), Germany.
16. July 2018 – August 2019, Deputy to the Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, United States Air Forces in Europe and United States Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany.
17. August 2019 – July 2022, Chief, Office of Defense Cooperation, United States Embassy, Republic of Singapore.
18. July 2022 – Present, Commander, Nevada Test and Training Range, Nellis AFB, Nev.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 2,041
Aircraft Flown: F-16, AT-38, T-38, T-37, and T-41
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
(Current as of July 2022)