Colonel Joshua D. DeMotts is the Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis AFB, Nevada, and Installation Commander for Nellis AFB and the 2.9 million-acre Nevada Test and Training Range. He is responsible for two groups and 13 squadrons that provide installation support for operational testing, tactics development and advanced training in Air, Space and Cyberspace. He is responsible for all installation support, providing communications, contracting, engineering, environmental, law enforcement, logistics, medical, security, services, supply, transportation and mission support for more than 11,000 assigned service members and 313,000 family members, retirees and veterans. In addition, the 99 ABW supports the U. S. Air Force Warfare Center, 53rd Wing, 57th Wing, 432nd Wing, 505th Command & Control Wing, 926th Wing, 363rd Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing, the NTTR, 52 tenant units, over 250 rotary and fixed-wing aircraft plus nearly 1,500 visitors and temporary-duty personnel conducting business daily across the installation.
Colonel DeMotts was commissioned in 1998 upon graduating from the United States Air Force Academy with a Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Engineering. He has commanded multiple times at the flight, squadron and group levels and has deployed several times in support of Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom. Colonel DeMotts also has several staff experiences at the HAF, Joint Staff and Combatant Command levels and is a fully-qualified Joint Officer. Prior to his current role, DeMotts served as the Vice Commander of the 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis AFB, Nevada.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Environmental Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado
2004 Navy School, Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Eglin AFB, Florida
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2005 Defense Nuclear Weapons School, Sandia National Laboratories
2007 MBA, Business Administration, University of Phoenix, European Campus
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Master of Science, Military Operational Arts & Sciences, Marine Command and Staff College, Quantico, Virginia
2013 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School for National Security, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2020 Leading Strategically Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1. 1998-2002, Civil/Maintenance Engineer, 3rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
2. 2002-2003, Engineering Flight Commander, 554 RED HORSE Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
3. 2003-2004, Student, Navy School, Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Eglin AFB, Florida
4. 2004-2008, Explosive Ordnance Disposal Flight Commander, 31st Civil Engineer Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
5. 2008-2010, Chief, Emergency Services Integration and Military Construction (MILCON) Program Manager, Headquarters United States Air Force, The Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. 2010, Commander, 451 Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, Kandahar, Afghanistan
7. 2010-2011, Student, Marine Command and Staff College, Quantico, Virginia
8. 2011-2013, Chief, Consequence Management Branch, Joint Requirements Office for CBRN Defense, The Joint Staff (J-8), The Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. 2013-2015, Commander, 21st Civil Engineer Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colorado
10. 2015-2016, Student, Eisenhower School for National Security (formerly Industrial College of the Armed Forces), Ft Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. 2016-2019, Chief, Homeland Defense Policy Branch (J5) then Chief, Requirements, Analysis, and Resources Division for Capabilities & Integration (J8), Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM), Peterson AFB, Colorado
12. 2019-2021, Commander, 82d Mission Support Group, Sheppard AFB, Texas
13. 2021-2022, Vice Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada
14. 2022- Present, Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. 2011-2013, Chief, Consequence Management Branch, Joint Requirements Office for CBRN Defense, The Joint Staff (J-8), The Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
2. 2016-2019, Chief, Homeland Defense Policy Branch (J5) then Chief, Requirements, Analysis, and Resources Division for Capabilities & Integration (J8), Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM), Peterson AFB, Colorado
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster