|COLONEL BARRY R. CORNISH|
Colonel Barry R. Cornish is the Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., and Installation Commander for Nellis Air Force Base, Creech Air Force Base and the 2.9 million-acre Nevada Test and Training Range. He is responsible for 3 Groups and 14 Squadrons providing installation support for operational testing, tactics development, and advanced training in Air, Space and Cyberspace as well as global Remotely Piloted Aircraft operations. He provides medical, contracting, engineering, supply, logistics, communications, law enforcement, environmental, security, and transportation for more than 12,000 assigned personnel and 313,000 dependents, retirees, and veterans. In addition, the Wing supports the United States Air Force Warfare Center, 53d Wing, 57th Wing, 432d Wing, 505th Command & Control Wing, the NTTR, over 250 rotary and fixed-wing aircraft plus nearly 1,500 visitors and temporary-duty personnel conducting business daily across the installation.
Colonel Cornish entered the Air Force in 1990 as a distinguished graduate of the University of North Texas Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He earned his wings at the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program at Sheppard AFB, Texas, in 1991. Colonel Cornish is a command pilot with more than 2200 flying hours, and is a graduate of the USAF Weapons School. He has served as an instructor pilot, weapons officer, operational test pilot, and operations officer. Colonel Cornish commanded the 67th Fighter Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan.
His staff assignments include duty as Chief, Avionics Requirements Branch, F-22 System Management Office, Air Combat Command Directorate of Requirements, Langley AFB, Va.; Executive Officer to the Commander, Allied Air Command, Izmir, Turkey; and Chief of Staff, Joint Forces Special Operations Component Command, Camp Liberty, Iraq.
1987 Bachelor's degree in economics, University of Texas at Austin
1993 Master's degree in strategic intelligence, National Military Intelligence College, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 USAF Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2005 Air War College, by correspondence
2009 Master's degree in National Resource Management, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1990 - August 1991, student, undergraduate pilot training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. September 1991 - September 1992, student, Air Force Intelligence School, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
3. October 1992 - June 1994, student, Joint Military Intelligence College, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
4. July 1994 - December 1994, student, 95th Fighter Squadron, F-15 flying training unit, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. January 1995 - August 1997, F-15 pilot/instructor, 54th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
6. September 1997 - July 1998, F-15 instructor/flight examiner, 59th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. July 1998 - December 1998 - student, U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. Jan 1999 - August 2000, F-15 weapons officer, 58th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
9. September 2000 - August 2002, F-15 operational test pilot and Chief, Foreign Materiel Exploitation, 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron and Detachment 1, 28th Test Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. September 2002 - January 2005, Chief, Avionics Requirements, F-22 System Management Organization, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
11. February 2005 - May 2008, Director of Operations and Commander, 67th Fighter Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan
12. May 2008 - June 2009, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2009 - May 2010, Executive Officer, Allied Air Command, Izmir, Turkey
14. June 2010 - June 2012, Vice Commander, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
15. June 2012 - Present, Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
November 2002 - May 2003, Chief of Air Operations, Coalition Coordination Center, U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
July 2009 - May 2010, Executive Officer, Allied Air Command, Izmir, Turkey
February 2011 - August 2011, Chief of Staff, Joint Forces Special Operations Component Command, Camp Liberty, Iraq
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,200
Aircraft flown: F-15, AT/T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 22, 1990
First Lieutenant March 22, 1992
Captain March 22, 1994
Major May 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2005
Colonel August 1, 2010
(Current as of June 2012)