|COLONEL JOHN P. "BAMA" MONTGOMERY|
Colonel John P. "Bama" Montgomery is the Commander of the 98th Range Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. He oversees the nearly 3 million acres of ranges and 12,000 square miles of airspace that make up the Nevada Test and Training Range, and he is responsible for the planning and oversight of the United States' largest and most sophisticated instrumented battlespace for testing and training for U.S. military and coalition air forces. Before assuming his current position, he served as the Vice Commander, 432d Wing, Creech Air Force Base, Nevada the USAF's front-line Unmanned Aircraft Systems Air Expeditionary Wing.
Colonel Montgomery entered the Air Force in 1986 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. A command pilot, he has served as a T-38 and F-16 instructor pilot, flight commander, weapons and tactics officer, and chief of standardization and evaluations. He is a 1995 graduate of the USAF Weapons Instructor Course, and a 1998 graduate of the Army Command and General Staff College. Colonel Montgomery has also served as Fighter Enhancement Program Manager and Advanced Programs Flight Commander for the 28th Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Florida. In 2001, he arrived at the 55th Fighter Squadron where he would become the commander. After graduating from the National War College, Colonel Montgomery served as the Executive Officer to the Commander, Component Command Air Izmir (NATO), Izmir, Turkey.
1986 Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1993 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 USAF Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1996 Master of Science degree in aeronautical science technology, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1998 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2005 Master of Science degree in national security strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1986 - June 1987, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. July 1987 - September 1987, student, lead-in fighter training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. November 1987 - May 1988, student, F-16 replacement training unit, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. May 1988 - May 1991, F-16 flight lead, mission command and electronic combat pilot, 70th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
5. May 1991 - October 1991, student, T-38 pilot instructor training, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. October 1991 - March 1992, T-38 instructor pilot, 99th Flying Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
7. March 1992 - May 1992, student, 72nd Flying Training Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. May 1992 - May 1993, F-16C flight commander and instructor pilot, 35th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
9. May 1993 - January 1995, F-16CG evaluator pilot and flight examiner, 34th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
10. January 1995 - June 1995, student, USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. June 1995 - May 1997, F-16 weapons and tactics officer, 34th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
12. July 1997 - June 1998, student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
13. July 1998 - February 2001, Fighter Enhancement Program Manager and Advanced Programs Flight Commander, 28th Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
14. February 2001 - May 2001, student, F-16 Flying Training Unit, Lackland AFB, Texas
15. June 2001 - June 2005, assistant director of operations, operations officer and Commander, 55th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
16. June 2005 - June 2006, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2006 - June 2007, executive officer to the Commander, Component Command Air Izmir (NATO), Izmir, Turkey
18. June 2007- July 2009, Vice Wing Commander, 432nd Wing, Creech AFB, NV
19. July 2009- Present, Commander, 98th Range Wing, Nellis AFB, NV
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2006 - June 2007, executive officer to the Commander, Component Command Air Izmir (NATO), Izmir, Turkey, as a colonel
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3200
Aircraft flown: T-38 and F-16
Unmanned aircraft flow: MQ-1
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Distinguished graduate US Air Force Academy 1986
Distinguished graduate USAF Undergraduate Pilot Training 1987
Distinguished graduate T-38 Pilot Instructor Training 1991
Air Combat Command's National Defense Industrial Association Military Tester of the Year in 1999 and 2000
Commanded 55 FS "Shooters", Shaw's Fighter Squadron of the Year 2005
Distinguished graduate National War College 2006
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1986
First Lieutenant May 28, 1988
Captain May 28, 1990
Major Sept. 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2001
Colonel Nov. 1, 2006
(Current as of July 2009)