|CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT ALFRED A. HERRING|
Chief Master Sergeant Alfred A. Herring is the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev. He is responsible to the commander on a wide range of issues including the health, morale, welfare, professional development and discipline of over 7,000 installation enlisted personnel. The wing is responsible for all installation support functions to include communications, contracting, engineering, environmental, law enforcement, logistics, medical, security, services and force support for over 12,000 assigned personnel and over 313,000 dependents, retirees and veterans. In addition, the wing also supports the USAFWC, 98th Range Wing, 53rd Wing, 57th Wing, 432nd Wing at Creech AFB, Tonopah Test Range, 52 tenant units, 171 rotary and fixed-wing aircraft assigned to Nellis and the nearly 1,500 visitors and TDY personnel conducting business at Nellis daily.
Chief Herring grew up in Warsaw, N.C., and entered the Air Force in April 1984. He completed his technical training as a materiel management specialist at Lowry Air Force Base, Colo. His assignments include Randolph, Nellis, Charleston, McClellan, Peterson and Lackland Air Force Bases in he CONUS and his OCONUS assignments include Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal and Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Thule, Greenland. Chief Herring has an extensive background in joint, wholesale and retail logistics operations.
1987 Air Education and Training Command NCO Preparatory Course
1990 Non Commissioned Officer Leadership School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1994 Non Commissioned Officer Academy correspondence Course
1994 Non Commissioned Officer Academy Course, in residence, McGuire AFB, N.J.
1998 Associate degree, Logistics Management, Community College of the Air Force
1998 Air Force Wholesale Logistics Program graduate, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, Calif.
1999 Air Force Senior Non Commissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2000 U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Senior Academy, Petaluma, Calif.
2005 Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Engineering Tech, Southern Illinois University
2006 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2008 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education correspondence course, Joint Forces Staff College
2008 Gettysburg Senior Leadership Experience, Gettysburg College, Pa.
In Progress - UMUC Master of Science degree in Management w/specialization in Procurement & Contracting
1. April 1984 - May 1984, trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. June 1984 - July 1984, student, Inventory Management Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
3. July 1984 - July 1988, Mission Capable controller, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. July 1988 - July 1991, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, NCOIC, Readiness/Individual Equipment, Stealth Fighter Program, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. July 1991 - December 1993, Assistant NCOIC, Aircraft Parts Store, Charleston AFB, S.C.
6. December 1993 - December 1995, NCOIC Receiving/Distribution, Lajes Field Azores
7. December 1995 - December 1998, Superintendent Wholesale Logistics Program, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan AFB, Calif.
8. December 1998 - September 2001, Superintendent Space Logistics, HQ AFSPC, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. September 2001 - September 2004, Superintendent Supply/Log Plans Trng Flight, Lackland AFB, Texas
10. September 2004 - September 2005 Superintendent Directorate of Logistics, Additional Duty First Sergeant and Air Force Senior Enlisted Advisor, HQ USMTM, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
11. September 2005 - February 2006, Superintendent M & S Flt, 37 LRS, Lackland AFB, Texas
12. February 2006 - April 2008, Chief Enlisted Manager, 37 LRS, Lackland AFB, Texas
13. May 2008 - April 2009, Superintendent, 821st Air Base Group, Thule AB, Greenland
14. May 2009 - Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal, with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal, with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal, with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
1995 65th Air Base Wing Outstanding Supply Technician of the Year
1995 8th Air Force Lance P. Sijan Junior Enlisted Person of the Year
1995 Chief of Staff of the Air Force Team Excellence Award finalist
1996 Air Force selection to the Wholesale Logistics Career Broadening Program
1997 Sacramento Air Logistics Center Outstanding Productivity Airman of the Year
2000 HQ Air Force Space Command Logistics Directorate SNCO of the Year
2003 AETC Chief Master Sergeant Eddie D. Speight Supply SNCO of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Staff Sergeant Jan. 1, 1989
Technical Sergeant May 1, 1994
Master Sergeant June 1, 1998
Senior Master Sergeant Jan. 1, 2003
Chief Master Sergeant Aug. 1, 2006
(Current as of June 2009)